Phone: +91 80 22261759,
Fax: +91 80 22286386,
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; She can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful construction is on her tongue".
- Proverbs 31:25,26
While India was celebrating its new-found independence, the Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa sought to fill a lacuna in women's education. Mount Carmel College for women, owned and run by the congregation of the Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa, in the year 1944 in Trichur (under the title of Carmel College in the State of Cochin) affiliated to Madras University, was transferred to Bangalore in 1948 to meet the increasing demand for women’s education. Thus began the story of Mount Carmel College, Bangalore on the 7th of July 1948 with just fifty students on its rolls.
Initially affiliated to Mysore University later it became an affiliated college of Bangalore University in 1964. MCC is a minority institution run primarily for Catholic Students but in the spirit of service, it opens its doors to those of all castes and creeds. It draws its inspiration from the person and teaching of Jesus Christ, Universal Master and Model of Education.
The college was granted the autonomy status in September 2005, affiliated to Bangalore University. Mount Carmel College was re-accredited with an A+ by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2006. It is one of the Colleges in India selected by UGC under the scheme, College with Potential for Excellence (CPE) in 2006. In the year 2012 the college was rewarded A grade by NAAC in its 2nd round of re-accreditation.
The College offers Under Graduate and Post Graduate Courses in Commerce and Management, Humanities, Science, Applied Science and Design. The student strength of the college in 1944 was 274; today it has strength of over 5,500 students pursuing both Under Graduate and Post Graduate Programmes. As a major step, the College established an Institute for Management Studies (MCIM) in 1992, with a view to provide women students an opportunity to pursue Management Education
The College has well established research facilities, State of the Art laboratories and facilitates research culture both among staff and students. The Commerce Department has been recognized as a Research centre by Bangalore University in 2006. Further IGNOU has recognised many of the Departments as Research Centers from the year 2010 - 11. The College has been registered with the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) and is recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (Act 1988) in the year 2011.
Under the Under Graduate stream the college offers ten Programmes in the Faculty of Arts, eighteen in the Faculty of Science and four in the Faculty of Commerce and Management. Number of Post Graduate programmes has increased from three under the affiliated system to thirteen under the autonomous system. The College through the Centre for Extended Education offers skill based credit programs.
In the course of it’s over 6 decades of history Mount Carmel College has worked successfully at its primary objective of women empowerment through education and it continues to be committed to the same.
Mount Carmel College has been shaped by the visionary leadership of the succeeding Principals of the college
|1948-1968||Sr. M. Antoinette|
|1968-1973||Sr. Angel Mary|
|1973-1990||Sr. Jesuine Marie|
|1990-2000||Dr. Sr. M. Genevieve|
|2000-2005||Dr. Sr M. Jesuina|
|2005-2011||Sr. M. Albina|
|2011-2014||Sr. M. Juanita|
Mount Carmel College, Bangalore, envisions a life-oriented education that empowers the students through a humanizing and liberative process, to be agents of transformation and development at different levels of life. Enabled and empowered, they respond pro – actively to concerns and conflicts inherent in today’s reality, especially those of women and persons who are unable to exercise their freedom to be human and work for the integrity of creation. The thrust is in the light of a “Civilisation of love”, the Kingdom of God, as envisaged and promoted by the Foundress, Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima. Read More>>>